Monday 28 December 2009

Damien Hirst x Louis Vuitton butterfly case

It would be a bit hypocritical of me to say anything against Damien Hirst. I did, after all, only recently queue up to purchase one of his Supreme t-shirts with "Life's a bitch and then you die" scrawled over it at Dover Street Market. Then sold it at a near-50 per cent profit (£17 to be exact), thus offering my very soul to the altar of capitalist art.

Nevertheless it is all I can do to hold back from slating this Damien Hirst Louis Vuitton trunk, which appears to be a take on a butterfly collector's case, embellished with pictures of butterflies and a skull logo, and featuring up to eight specimen drawers.

Why does this annoy me? It is plainly obvious that no butterfly collector in their right mind would employ the use of one of these objects, so it couldn't be considered cruel. I think it's more the fact that it can't really be used for anything else. Not to mention that this is bound to become one of Hirst's most popular pieces among the colectors.

To be honest, I think they are the ones I feel sorry for.

More images at Slamxhype

People who read this post also read :



No comments:

Post a Comment