Thursday 3 December 2009

The shelving unit of our lives

Now here's something you don't see every day: the shelves in our office. I call it an office but in reality it's a spare room, which doubles as an office, studio, clothes drying room, walk in wardrobe and dressing room.

Anything, in fact, except a bedroom. Because it doesn't have a bed. But it has got the shelves. Ikea, if my memory serves me well.

What I like about these shelves is that they are little glimpses into our lives - our taste, inspiration, past. Each little compartment has a story to tell.

Take the jeep at the bottom there - I built that jeep from a kit when I was about 15. Its got a little motor which still drives it, and every time my niece comes round she takes that jeep and sends it clattering off up the lawn on some mission. She makes ramps and puts obstacles in its way. The rest of the time it sits in its hole.

Then there are the art books, Monocle mags, Batman, Star Wars DVDs, the Munny I never painted, and up there in the top right, Lizzie's Where the Wild Things are toys. A stranger assortment you will never find.

There's more you can't see, records mainly, hundreds of them, but this is the bit of the shelving that I like the most.

A psychologist would have a field day analysing this lot.

People who read this post also read :



No comments:

Post a Comment