Monday 21 December 2009

Nike Dunk high RESN Gucci: The experiment

Time for a little experiment. This is the first time I have actually bought a pair of trainers with no intention of wearing them.

But this time is different, because I actually think that this release of the Nike SB RESN Dunk in deep forest and hot paprika "Gucci" colourway is going to be the next Tiffany Dunk (that turquoise and black colourway which has become stuff of legend). And we all know how difficult they are to come by these days.

This is because, along with the colourway, these Dunks already come with a bit of history. They were designed by one of the Girl Skateboards crew to be released alongside the Tiffany Diamond SB Dunk in 2005, but Girl got the hump that they were being associated with Nike and the project was shelved.

So only 29 pairs were produced in that initial release. The 2009 version is virtually identical, with the addition of the letters RESN on the tongue tab in homage to the Girl's Sam Smyth. RESN is his tag.

Now you don't get many trainers with this kind of a story behind them, and for that reason I made sure I secured my pair from my local skate store, Switch.

And against all my instincts, these kicks will not even be tried on. They have already been packed away on top of the shelves. In six months' time I will guage the price these trainers are fetching on Ebay and decide whether to store for longer, sell or wear.

Until then it will be an exercise in self restraint to leave them where they are.

People who read this post also read :



No comments:

Post a Comment