Friday 22 May 2009

Rapha three-piece suit

I can see what Rapha is getting at collaborating with suitmaker Timothy Everest on a three-piece suit - harking back to the golden age of gentleman cycling.

The difference is that in those days, around the turn of the last century, there weren't many cars around and therefore cycling was borne more out of necessity than choice.

Today cycling has become a lifestyle choice, a leisure pursuit, and I can't help thinking that, much like Rapha's splendid but ultimately useless tweed racing jacket, this is high-end cycle wear gone mad.

If I cycled to work I wouldn't do so in a three piece suit with pink flashes, because I'd have to change into something that wasn't drenched in sweat when I got there. Nice suit, granted, with some nice weatherproofing for the English weather.

I will shake the hand of anyone who dares to adopt it as everyday cycle-wear.

People who read this post also read :



No comments:

Post a Comment