Friday 23 September 2011

Supreme London store opening: I wasn't there

It was all because of this
I've done my fair share of waiting outside shops. There was many a Saturday morning back in the day when you would find me queueing outside Busy Workshop with all the other Bapeheads for a chance to get my paws on a shark hoody.

But I never did get my head round waiting there overnight like some of the true (mainly Japanese, it must be said) devotees. Which is why I only ever managed to get second best, which was usually something like a purple camo crew neck sweat. Although I did once grab a Kaws chomper hoodie.

It should be noted, however, that not a single item I have ever qeueued for is still in my wardrobe, and that goes for Supreme as well as it does Bape. In fact I disliked my Supreme Damien Hirst box logo tee so much that it was on Ebay within a day of me waiting for hours outside Dover Street Market to get it.

So when I turned that corner off Wardour Street into Peter Street yesterday afternoon and discovered that the small gathering outside the new Supreme store was just the beginning of the queue which started again at the Co-Op up the road (so cars could get through) and went from there round the corner past the loading bays, I didn't feel like hanging about.

And for the first time ever I also felt a little bit old, seeing as I had just come from work and wasn't wearing a snap-back cap, a chambray shirt, skinny chinos or Vans Era.

So I hoofed it. I was later tweeted by someone who told me he had waited 18 hours in the queue. For a t-shirt.

To add insult to injury, my invite to the opening party must have got lost in the post, so these pics have been lifted with great care and many huge thanks from Hypebeast, Better Never than Late, and Firmament.

I'm going to try and get in there again in a little while.
Just imagine turning around to find that yellow thing staring at you

The crowd looked a bit cock-heavy to be honest

Insert names of people I should know here

Viewed from the front or the back it was still a massive yellow plastic thing

If I had got this close I would have considered it a success

Add caption

Leopard camo

Big white plastic thing

Bubble camo

If she got this at the store, what was she wearing when she came in?

Eddie Chen and Aaron Bonderoff

Futura still does it


People who read this post also read :



No comments:

Post a Comment