Monday 19 October 2009

Hermes hoodie: Vulgarity rules

Now what do I like about this jacket? I'm struggling to think, on a style level. I mean it's a hooded leather for god's sake, two elements that should never be put together under any circumstances, unless your look is that of a boyband member. Or maybe you are one, in which case go ahead.

But I still like this jacket, for the simple fact that it is the most politically incorrect piece of clothing that has graced my field of vision in quite a while. These days there are certain times when even the wearing of a standard leather will have you batting off daggers from the cow hugging brigade, all fresh from chowing down on their plate of vegetables.

So what will they think of this offering from Hermes? It's more than just a leather hoodie. This is a calfskin (think veal, ewww) lined with ... wait for it ... mink!

Is there anything else that Hermes could add to this garment that would enrage the animal lovers more? Authentic cat paw zip pulls? Dolphin tooth buttons?

I'm not condoning the slaughter of endangered species in the manufacture of clothing - in fact I find the whole exotic skins as luxury garments thing a bit unsettling unless the rest of the animal is going to be eaten.

But I could turn a blind eye to the odd cat.

People who read this post also read :



1 comment: