Wednesday 30 December 2009

Talking about a resolution

We're almost there. This time tomorrow it will all be going off, bubbles flowing, arms in the air, that kind of thing.

So I'm thinking about resolutions. I'm not really the type. Although I did complete the five-year renovation of my flat the year that I resolved to do it. Six months later, I'd sold it.

But we've done just about everything to this house, apart from the loft, and that's a cash issue, not a resolution.

I'm damned if I'm going to do something stupid like give up drinking, or smoking, or buying clothes. Resolutions shouldn't be about torture.

Although it might help a bit if somewhere along the line there was a mention of spending less, or - God forbid - saving.

But if I'm going to do that I might as well go all out and resolve to become The Pope, or win the lottery, start a multi-billion pound business. In China. Because let's face it, some things will never happen.

So I'm going to have to stick to the realistic and look inwards. Resolve to do stuff like stopping to look around a bit more, appreciating what I've got. Worrying less about what I have not achieved. The kind of things that would be good to resolve to do even if it weren't the new year.

And the kind of stuff that no one will notice when it doesn't happen.

People who read this post also read :



No comments:

Post a Comment