Saturday 21 November 2009

The long wait part two: Supreme Damien Hirst release at Dover Street Market

All was not lost. Another seismic event in the Rare Things to be Available If You're Patient calendar was taking place across London at Dover Street Market.

Here, at 11am, would be available the latest Damien Hirst x Supreme release. I was on familiar ground here. A niche label with a select following. Only 20 t-shirts and skateboard decks would be available, but I reckoned the number of devotees prepared to wait outside could only be ten. Maximum.

I was number 21 in the queue. At the head of the line were a few chaps from Brighton, a guy called James Norris and a couple of pensioners sitting on fold away chairs. They had arrived at 6.30am.

I had clearly underestimated the popularity of Damien Hirst. Amazing what pickling a sheep can do for your career. Who would have thought his art would have pensioners queuing outside shops for hours?

If it wasn't for the kindness of one of the Brighton lads who bought a tee for me along with his deck, I would again have missed out. I am eternally grateful

That's James Norris to the right, proud owner of a bit of Hirst skateboard art.

As for me and queues, don't expect to see me in another one.

Oh, and it turns out my tee is enormous. So expect to see it on Ebay soon.

People who read this post also read :



3 comments:

  1. Haha, it certainly was a journey. I cannot make the next drop due to family commitments so the Spin art (blue) and the bad boy one in the picture will have to do!

    Good luck getting a second on Saturday

    James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, I have just read that you aren't going down!on Saturday! Dude you need to get one. 21st in line.... It's a challenge with a truely awesome prize at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might give it one more go! Very impressed by your site, by the way

    ReplyDelete