Saturday 1 May 2010

Sperry Top Siders: TK Maxx returns to form

I'd almost given up on TK Maxx. It used to be a treasure trove of designer clobber - CP Company, Maharishi, I even found an ALife sweatshirt in there once.

But that is in the dim and distant past.  Recent visits have turned up nothing better than a few socks and some pants.

Until yesterday that is. Because browsing through the shoe aisle I caught sight of a pair of Sperry Top Siders. Then another pair. Upon closer inspection, they were everywhere. I was spoilt for choice. It was all I could do to stop myself leaving with more than two pairs.

In case you don't know about Sperrys, they are one of, if not the, original deck shoes. Invented in 1935 by a bloke called Paul Sperry, they were the first to feature a non-slip sole thanks to an innovative pattern on the tread which was inspired by the cracks on his dog's paws.

Thanks to the non-marking white sole, they were adopted by the US Navy and have gone down in history as an all-time classic.

They aren't exactly difficult to track down, although more so in the UK, but that doesn't stop them from being an absolute bargain when you can find them at £30 a pop.

Anyway after sleeping on it, the blue ones have now gone back. I decided there was no point in having two pairs, especially seeing as I have enough shoes to open a store of my own.

The advert at the top is courtesy of Sartorially Inclined, who got it from another blogger, who's link doesn't appear to be working.









People who read this post also read :



No comments:

Post a Comment