Thursday 5 March 2009

No Kanye, NO!

Now I do like to think of myself as a bit of a trainer freak. I own more Nike Dunks than is reasonably sane for a 37-year-old and still think nothing of dropping a good few English pounds on a pair of kicks if the urge takes me, even if it means cutting back on other things, such as eating.

So when I heard that Kanye West had gone off to Louis Vuitton to learn a bit about fashion and design, the radar came on. The French luxury behemoth has in the past taken part in some inspired collaborations, with some notable cultural icons.


The venture with Pharrell Williams on their sunglasses back in 2005 resulted in some interesting creations, albeit a bit bling. Then came the designs from Takashi Murakami, the Japanese pop artist. He was responsible for the multi-colour monogram pattern and more recently the camo patterns, known as Monogramoflage, which have since become highly sought after collectors' items.


So what has the pint-sized self styled bling king that is Kanye West come up with under the tutelage of the Paris fashion house? Well, these. I am actually lost for words. I mean I know the fella is a bit avant garde, but he actually put his name to these monstrosities.
I guess he's taken a bit of a tip from Nigo's multicoloured Bapesta line, (which is getting a bit tired now, to be frank), and also nodded at Pierre Hardy, Dior and that kind of leisure pump type thing beloved of Euro-queers.


But as a package I'm afraid Kanye gets a nill points for these. Call me old fashioned, but to me, rocking the psychedelic Marty McFly look is all a bit much for my sensibilities. And yes, I took part in Bapesta thing back in dim and distant 05.


Still, they're bound to (Mc)fly off the shelves.

Read Highsnobiety's report and see more pics here http://tinyurl.com/cyp4ox

People who read this post also read :



No comments:

Post a Comment