Wednesday 10 March 2010

Brandwatch: Yuketen shoes

I have been known to go to considerable lengths to achieve my aims. Take today, for instance. I've spent most of it in the pursuit of a pair of Yuketen shoes.

I've only just discovered this brand, and it seems much of the world has too, because I have been on a virtual tour of it, stopping off at online boutiques everywhere from Holland to New York. I even visited Japan. No luck.

My efforts pale into insignificance compared to those undertaken by the man who has created the Yuketen brand. Yuki Matsuda actually emigrated from Japan to America in order to learn the craft of shoemaking from the real experts.

When he got there he spent years learning his craft before launching the Yuketen brand in 1985. Even today, 25 years later, Yuketen shoes are still being made by hand.

And when you look at it like that, it's no wonder these things sell out straight away, and it's also no surprise that Yuketen can be found in so few stockists.

But the good thing is that you will only ever actually need to track down Yuketen once in a decade or so - the shoes are so well made they'll take you miles before they wear out.

But possibly not as far as your search will take you to find a pair.

PS: Before you say anything, I know Oi Polloi has just got a delivery in, but they have to be the worst looking selection of these shoes I've ever seen. Dover Street Market has some too. Also try the Inventory.

People who read this post also read :



No comments:

Post a Comment