Thursday 7 January 2010

Looking on the bright side: things I like about the snow

It's here and there's not a lot we can do about it. Everything has gone white and to be perfectly honest, I really don't mind that we're in for another 6 days of it. At least it isn't raining.

Of course if you happen to live in Canada, or any other country that regularly receives anything more than an inch of snow a year you're going to wonder what all these British bloggers are prattling on about. But bear with us. This is the apocalypse to us.

There is a bright side, not least that everything actually is, be means of reflection, brighter.

Such as:

Pawprints in the snow

Do you have any idea what crawls around your garden when you've gone to bed? I do now. I kind of knew it anyway, through my ongoing battles with the badgers. But there are other pawprints. Mainly cat sized, and nothing I could quite put down to a yeti.

But it seems my patio is some kind of cat hangout when I'm asleep. I might start charging admission.

No cars!

I must have seen about three cars attempt to negotiate the slight incline that is our road today. Everyone else thought better of it, and that has to be a good thing in my mind, because besides the whole fumes thing, I really am not a fan of cars. They get in the way. Far better to have them safely buried under a few feet of snow.

The blitz spirit

People are actually talking to each other. Complete strangers. And if they're not talking they are communicating by means of grimaces as they stagger along in the fear that every step could be their last.

A fellow commuter actually said to me: "This is going to be fun in the morning" on the way back up the hill from the station. The first time a commuter has said anything to me ever. I was too shocked to reply.

The challenge

No longer is it sufficient to merely sling a jacket on and walk out the door. Any excursion has to be planned with military precision; suitable equipment, such as a hat, sourced; time must be allowed for sliding, for disrupted transport networks. You have to start thinking about the stuff you take for granted. It's the urban equivalent of scaling the north face of Everest. Sort of.

The perfect excuse

I haven't had the cause to employ this one yet. Despite my greatest hopes, the trains are still running and there's no snowdrift at the front door. But it's almost like we're being told to take the day off work. Don't drive, don't walk, school's out. SNOW CHAOS! Nothing to do but slide down a hill on a bin lid. Does life get any better?

And not forgetting ... the clothes

Did you know you can walk through the snow in 6" heels? No? That's because you can't. Neither are Ugg boots waterproof. I am glad I'm not a girl. Suffer thee of the fashion faithful female persuasion.

Give me my Visvim Serra boots, my trapper cap, that new OF Goretex jacket, my chunky woolly cardie any day. My clobber is made for this, and worse. Much much worse. And there's another six days to go. Yes!

People who read this post also read :



No comments:

Post a Comment