Monday 4 January 2010

Some looks you're going to see more of in 2010

This is not a list of fashion predictions, in fact most of the things mentioned here are already well established on the style front. But the point is, they aren't going away.

You could even say that if it's on this list, it's time to look for something else.

Pinched turnups

The practice of turning up one's strides (usually jeans, but chinos also) by pinching in the material and the sides while turning up tightly. Gives a tapered effect. I had actually labelled this micro turnups in a previous post, before I was made aware of the intricacies.

Already quite a popular look among the hipper London element although I have yet to employ it myself, mainly due to the fact that it reminds me of the way I used to wear my jeans in 1987.

Plaid

Plaid, checked, tartan, madras, call it what you will - up to a couple of years ago, this pattern was striclty the preserve of hill walkers and church goers, and occasionally allotment holders. Then it began to be reintroduced to streetwear.

This year, we will see the total adoption of plaid among the mainstream. All the high street chains are producing plaid shirts so it's only a matter of time before absolutely everyone is wearing them again. Some would say absolutely everybody was already wearing them.

Deckshoes

Began to take a hold among the hipper Hoxtonites last year, and sure to be even bigger this year as the weather warms up. If you want to be truly trendy, pinch your turnups or just wear your trousers at half mast. Make sure you forget to wear your socks, too.

Fastened top buttons

The Moddish among us will say this has always been the smarter way to wear our shirts, but I for one have only recently reverted back to doing the top button of my shirts and polos up, after having moved away from the look towards the late eighties. Do you notice a pattern here yet?

Waxed Barbour jackets

These have been slowly making a return to the street since, oh, about 2007, after a decade-long holiday in the country. This year you'll be seeing every Tom, Dick and Harry in them.

The waxed jacket is your classic rainwear with a practical, hardwearing edge. Stinks to high heaven, but hey.

Pastels

Blame Crocket and Tubbs, blame ice cream vendors, blame who you like. Come summer we'll all be swanning about in baby blue and nursery pink. Pastel shades didn't really take a hold last year, despite the best efforts of the powers of fashion. This time round they won't give up until we all look like candy floss.

Beards

How, you might ask, would it be possible to see any more men in beards? Absolutely every bloke is now proudly parading a facial thatch. So many of us in fact that those at the cutting edge have resorted to growths of Grizzly Adams proportions to stand out.

So you might not actually see many more beards than you already do. But I will.
Because I'm cultivating another one as I write, and this time I'm going to persevere.

It is presently a bit tufty, but my friend Jamo has assured me that "it will come."

I feel like Kevin Costner with his Field of Dreams.

People who read this post also read :



No comments:

Post a Comment